Sunday, April 28, 2013

Sarver: Karaoke Supernova

Sunday is a family day. My Aunt Nancy and Grandparents come to my parents' house to visit. It all happens in a blur and it feels like we're saying goodbye before we even say hello. That's the difficulty of having family so far away, but everyone understands it's the sacrifice I have to make for the life and career I want in LA.
Of course, my trip to Pittsburgh wouldn't be complete without Sunday night karaoke at Rockafellas. Seriously, I plan my trips home around Sundays specifically so I can go to Rockafellas Karaoke with my friends. This is probably because my experience with LA karaoke bars is that they're really packed and full of wannabe actors/singers who are either way too good or take it way too seriously. It's not fun (unless you go with an obnoxiously huge and drunk frisbee team that has a tendency to take off their shirts .. cough.. Retro!). Even so, it takes forever to get on the mic.
At Rockafellas, my friends and I can sing whatever we want and not have to feel self-conscious. If I want to be the white girl who tries to rap Salt n' Peppas "Shoop," I can. If Andrew wants to sing Priscilla Queen of the Desert songs out of key, he can. And if Ben, Andrew, and I want to close out the night singing the best rendition of Elton John's Crocodile Rock that Sarver has ever heard, we can. And we did. Glorious. 
After karaoke, Ben, Andrew, and I chilled on Ben's back porch until around 1:30 am. The seconds slip away until I inevitably have to leave. I don't want to, but I have to get up early and on my way to New Jersey. 
It's so hard coming into lives of people I love for a few days at a time, only to be ripped away again for six months. It makes these short trips home incredibly bittersweet. The only positive that comes from this is that it's impossible to take my time with my PA friends and family for granted. We make the most of it and sing our guts out. I love you all so much. -Bacon
- Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment