Saturday, April 27, 2013

Pittsburgh: Toonseum/Art All Night

"Our plan is to meet at the Toonseum at 12:30." reads the text from my More Frames animation buddies.
You jerks, I think. It's 11:30 now and I still haven't gone for my run and my mom is making quiche for lunch. I'm not missing either of those things.
I do a 3.5 mile loop through Harrison Hills Park, my favorite running spot. A hilly, green run through the woods is priceless to Pennsylvanian confined to the concrete and dessert of LA. 
I race down River Run, which overlooks the Allegheny, hopping roots, sprinting the hills, and I feel the peace that is so hard to find in LA.
After a delicious post-run quiche from my mom, I'm on my way to Pittsburgh to meet up with the More Frames guys. It's Jordan, Gus, Adam, Andrea, and the bonus addition of Matt and Jess Kappel! Avengers Assemble!

We check out the Akira exhibit at the Toonseum and our minds are collectively blown. There is a display of individual painted cells from the movie and the complexity of each frame of this technical masterpiece is unreal. Seriously, they did this without CG!?

We all feel like such frauds as animators, that when we turn to the other wall and look at some Bill Plympton drawings, art actually feels attainable again. And that says a lot since under normal circumstances Bill Plympton is incredibly impressive as well.

After the Toonseum, we head to Lawrenceville for the "Art All Night" exhibit. Imagine an enormous old industrial Pittsburgh warehouse packed with art, bands, and hipsters. 

We looked at all of the art and it generally ranged from pretty cool to hilarious. Here are some of my favorites:

That last one is called "Raining Knives." It was painted by a 7 year old girl. I think her future is about as bright as that sun.

I parted ways with the More Frames guys and then met up with my bestie, Jeffrey. We walked around Lawrenceville for a while and admired all of the hipsters who were out in their "Sunday best" for Art All Night. Pittsburgh is really starting to feel like an up and coming city with the emerging art and film scene. It's a few vegetarian restaurants and Trader Joeses away from stealing me back from LA. And just as I'm considering the possibility while Jeffrey and I are watching the Pirates game at a bar, I see this:

Stay clASSy, Pittsburgh. Some things will never change and I love my city's Yinzers.

Jeffrey and I spent the remainder of our time together back at Art All Night drawing a comic that will hopefully never see the light of day, yet will live forever in our minds.  All in all, a pretty wonderful day in my home city.  


-Bacon

No comments:

Post a Comment