Thursday, May 16, 2013

LAX to JFK to DUS

I am starting this post from the plane on my ultra light blue tooth wireless keyboard. Oh how I love technology! Check-in and security at LAX were a mess, thank goodness that's over for now. Every time I go through a TSA check point I always makes me think of this.

Within the next 24 hours, I will have transfered six times: LAX --> JFK --> DUS --> Germany Sky Tram --> "DB Bahn" Train from Airport Station to Dusseldorf Hbf --> Train to Amsterdam Central --> Train to my hotel in Western Amsterdam.

I hope I make all of my connections!

I  just checked the chair pocket safety instruction pamphlet to see if Tyler Durdan left a "revised" version. No such luck, the cast of "Plane Crash" were calm as hindu cows! My "single serving" friend (aka guy sitting next to me), is rather interesting. My first impression was that he might be a WWE Wrestler. After some casual conversation I have learned that he's headed to Zurich and owns a chain of chopper shops around the world. He used to be a Marine and then became a national champion semi-professional footfall player. I asked him if he was in a biker gang to which he responded "once upon a time babe".  I am writing this as he sits right next to me so I hope he doesn't look at my phone! Landing soon, signing off for now!

Signing back in, i'm now at Dusseldorf Hbf which means i made in to Germany in one piece! The second flight was much better than the first, Air Berlin is fantastic. The best part was that two out of the three seats next to me were empty so it was able to "expand" a bit. A gentleman who embodied the spirit and fashion of Sasha Baron Cohen's "Dictator" character sat at the end of my row. He wore dark diva sunglasses, had a rough long beard that fell down to his navel and was not a fan of air plane food. That's about all I could gather as we did not exchange words.

For breakfast, Air Berlin provided a lovely platter of cheese, salami, turkey, a cherry tomato, bread and a pickle. This is going to sound strange but the moment I saw the pickle I knew it was different. And sure enough, one apprehensive nibble revealed that it was sweet as candy! This spidey sense stems from my personal experiences of desperately trying to locate a sour salty pickle in my prior travels to Germany, Hungary and Austria. Can someone please tell me why Europeans prefer sweet pickles?! Second question, why do they even exist?!

I watched two movies on my seat's entertainment center: Chasing Mavericks and Hitchcock. I recommend seeing them if you haven't yet! Chasing Mavericks is based on a true story about the pioneers of big wave surfing. Warning, it's bit of a tear jerker!

The landing was smooth and I am rather glad to be back on the ground. Megan and Viv's train from Trier should be arriving any minute now. I've been waiting for them for the last two hours and the anticipation is killing me! The train is coming, ta ta for now!

-Shenzi

No comments:

Post a Comment