Thursday, May 2, 2013

Guten Morgen, Germany!

It's 8 am when I land in Dusseldorf. Sounds like a good night's sleep, right? Not exactly since 8am in Dusseldorf is 2am in New York and 11pm in LA.

I'm groggy, but so pumped to be in Germany that I fight through the fatigue and make my way off the plane, out of the airport, and buy my train ticket to Trier at the Dusseldorf train station. My ticket has one transfer at Cologne (as we Americans spell it) or Köln (as the Germans spell it). 

I make my way onto the train and prepare for short 20 min train ride to Cologne. The train ticket-taker-guy comes by shortly after we get going. He politely informs me that I am sitting in Klasse 1 with a Klasse 2 ticket. Huh? In my sleep deprived state, I must've missed all of the "1's" and "2's" that label the trains in Germany and accidentally sat in 1st class. I apologize to the attendant and grab my bags to move. He informs me that moving isn't going to work and I have to pay a 40 Euro fine. What!? That's like $60 USD for a 20 minute train ride! I tried to reason with him. I tried to explain I just flew all night and this is my first ever time in Germany and he's making a horrible impression. I tried to shed a tear. No luck. I paid the fine. 

Note to travelers in Germany: Don't accidentally sit in 1st Klasse. 

Cologne:

"Here in Cologne, I know I said it wrong. I walked you to the train and back across alone." is the Ben Folds lyric to the Ben Folds song "Cologne." It's a terribly sad song about a breakup and although it has nothing to do with my current state of life, it was enough to make me want to check out the city in passing. Cologne Tourism Board, you owe Ben Folds.    

I got off the train and threw my extra bags in the train station lockers, an easy and convenient solution for travelers. I strolled through the tiny streets, checked out a big church, bought a breakfast sandwich, had a coffee. Cute little town. 


Once I had a full stomach and a much fuller understanding of an obscure song lyric, I picked up my bags and hopped the train to Trier.

The ride from Köln to Trier wis about 2.5 hours. Never heard of Trier, Germany, you say? Well, neither had I and I doubt I'd ever have a reason to go there if it weren't for my friend Vivien who lives there. 

I met my German friend Vivien last summer through DK and ultimate frisbee. She was visiting her American father in Los Angeles. We bonded over a love of ultimate, video games, and playing music. Needless to say, between our love of frisbee, games, and music, we have a lot in common. Now a year later, I'm visiting her in Germany!

The train ride is relaxing. The scenery is green and I feel like I'm in the middle of rural Pennsylvania. I arrive in Trier in the early afternoon and Viv meets me at the train station. It's great to see my friend and I'm excited for my Germany adventures to begin.

More to come.

Love, 
Bacon 







No comments:

Post a Comment